The HTC One S is an Android smartphone in the "One" range. It features an 8 megapixel camera, dual core processor and 16GB of built in storage. This puts it in the middle of the range between the One X and the One V.
This range runs Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) out the box.
I decided to upgrade my HTC Desire to the One S although I originally considered the One X. I eventually settled on the S because the battery life is better and I didn't want to carry a phone with a 4.7" screen.
One S Specification
|Platform||Android 4.0 with HTC Sense 4|
|CPU||1.5 GHz, dual core|
|Size||130.9 x 65 x 7.8 mm|
|Weight||119.5 grams with battery|
|Display||4.3-inch touch screen|
|Screen||4.3-inch (540 x 960 resolution)|
|Network||HSPA/WCDMA: Europe/Asia: 850/900/2100 MHz
GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
Ambient light sensor
|Camera||8 megapixel camera with auto focus, smart LED flash, and BSI sensor (for better low-light captures)
F2.0 aperture and 28mm lens
1080p HD video recording
VGA front camera
Dedicated imaging chip
Capture a photo in the midst of recording HD video
Continuous shooting mode captures multiple snapshots
Auto flash smartly determined by distance from your subject
Video stabilization feature removes annoying, shaky motion
High quality slow motion video capture and playback
|Connectivity||3.5 mm stereo audio jack
Bluetooth with aptX enabled (Bluetooth 4.0)
Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
DLNA for wirelessly streaming media from the phone to a compatible TV or computer
micro-USB 2.0 (5-pin) port with mobile high-definition video link (MHL) for USB or HDMI connection (Special cable required for HDMI connection.)
|Audio Formats||Playback: aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 9)
|Video Formats||Playback: .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv (Windows Media Video 9), .avi (MP4 ASP and MP3)
HTC Official Page for the One S
HTC Official Support for the One S
My initial impression on the phone is good. The things I like:
- Battery life is good and lasts over 24 hours for me
- Screen transitions are smooth and fast
- Internal memory increase to 2GB means I can install all the space-hungry apps my Desire couldn't cope with.
- Free 25GB of Dropbox online storage
- Camera is good and the "rapid shoot" feature is something I missed when I got rid on my trusty Sony K800.
Things that aren't so great :
- Not all of the advertised 16GB storage is available. It's effectively 10GB for user files, music and video.
- Without the optical trackpad on the Desire you are dependent on the app you are using to provide buttons to navigate text boxes. Some apps don't get this right and scrolling within text boxes is almost impossible. I like to review what I've written before submitting and this was easy on the Desire.